What to Compost
YES! I’m compostable:
- Food scraps/leftovers
- Fruit and vegetable trimmings
- Meat, bones, dairy, oils (not more than 10% of bucket contents)
- Breads, cereals, rice, grains
- Coffee grounds and unbleached paper coffee filters
- Natural fiber tea bags (remove staples)
- Plant trimmings from organic gardens that haven’t been sprayed
- Unbleached/inked napkins and paper towels soiled with organic material (no oily shop towels or napkins soaked in cleaning solution)
- Cardboard soiled by food like pizza. If clean, please recycle.
- All to-go PLA (corn plastic) or paper containers and utensils specifically labelled as “compostable”
NO! I’m NOT compostable:
- Trash or recycling: clean cardboard, #1 and #2 plastics, glossy paper, aluminum foil and aluminum cans
- Non-compostable plastics, plastic film, Styrofoam
- Latex or rubber gloves
- Fruit and vegetable stickers, tags, labels, and rubber bands
- Dryer lint
- Pet waste and hair
- Ornamental flowers (these are often sprayed with herbicides and pesticides)
- Yard waste and grass clippings (we offer separate services for yard waste collection)
Bi- Weekly Collection dates for 2023 are every other Tuesday after 9 a.m.
If you are unable to place your bucket outside, please let us know by email at Contact@406Compost.com or texting 406.449.6008 on the day of collection. Place buckets near where they were delivered outside of the public right of way.
Compostable paper bags for yard waste and plant material are available. Separate charges may apply. Contact 406 Compost for details and to arrange pickup.
We offer extra buckets for an extra $5 per month per bucket. Forget to leave your bucket out? We’ll still drop one off, just leave the extra bucket outside at the next pickup date.
Thanks for supporting 406 Compost & being part of a greener Helena!